Apply to place skips on the highway

If you want to use a skip on a public highway, you will require a licence.

Only skip companies registered with us can apply for licences to place skips on the highway.

Householders and anyone else who requests a skip aren’t responsible for licensing skips but should check the skip company has a licence and is registered with the Council.

Licensing doesn’t apply to skips placed on private land.

How to register your skip company with us

You should allow at least five working days to register as a skip operator.

By registering, you agree the terms and conditions for placing a skip on the highway.

To register, you need to download, complete and return an application form. The registration fee is £100. You will also need to enclose:

  • proof of your public liability insurance - with a minimum cover of £6m
  • a copy of a waste transfer note
  • a waste carrier’s licence certificate
  • a goods vehicle operator’s licence.

If your application is approved, we will issue you with a registration number. You registration can be withdrawn if you break the licence conditions. 

Apply for skip licences

Once your skip company is registered with us, you still need a licence for each skip you want to place on the public highway. 

To apply for additional skip licences please send us a cheque for the relevant amount . A one month skip licence will cost £120.

Please make the cheque payable to 'RBK' and send along with a covering letter to:


DES Business Support (Skip Request)
Guildhall 2
High Street
Kingston Upon Thames


Please email a completed skip licence request to [email protected] for authorisation and approval. We will only approve the licence once payment has been cleared.  

You must make sure the skip is:

  • marked with your name and address or telephone number
  • in good condition, eg no holes
  • not going to cause any injuries to pedestrians who brush past it
  • not adversely obstructing the road or footpath
  • not blocking any drains
  • painted yellow on both ends to reflect headlights of approaching cars
  • not placed on a verge unless authorised by the Council
  • not placed outside nightclubs when the club is in use