Better Homes - improvements to your home

Improvements to council homes

Work is being done to bring all Council-owned housing up to the ‘better homes’ standard.  This standard exceeds the government’s minimum standard for housing (the Decent Homes Standard). For tenants, this means warmer and better insulated homes in a reasonable state of repair with more modern facilities.

The Better Homes programme started in June 2012 and will be completed in 2018-19. When finished, all Council-owned homes will meet the ‘better homes’ standard and exceed the government’s decent homes standard.

Type of improvements

We’re doing everything from rewiring to replacing anything that isn’t up to standard such as roofs and windows, kitchens and bathrooms and boilers.

Choice of fittings

If we think your property needs a new kitchen or bathroom, you will get some say in what it looks like. For example, you can select from a choice of worktops, floor coverings, door fronts and handles for your new kitchen and wall colours and floor coverings for your bathroom.

Who is paying for the work?

Previously some of your rent would have gone to government. The council now receives all your rent and therefore we can invest more of it back into improving the living standards of your home. We have also received £18 million of government funding which means we are able to increase the amount of money we invest back into our homes by fifty percent.

If you are a leaseholder, you may benefit from some of the external works but not the internal improvements. If the block you live in requires a replacement roof or refurbishment of communal areas, then under the terms of your lease you will need to contribute to the cost of these works. You will be consulted about any works before they start.

Keeping in touch

You’ll be told of the exact work requirements for your block or property. You will also be told well in advance about any planned work to your home.

Have your say

We will be speaking to all residents in estates and other areas about what we can do to improve their homes. Contact us using the Housing contact form if you have any questions - please put 'Better Homes' in the type of enquiry field.